Sunday 29 May 2011

Breaking radio silence

May. It has almost passed in a blur of contradictions. It started off here in Norway blazing with summer promise but fizzled out in a sombre, autumnal mood.

It's been a few weeks since I posted on here so I just thought I'd let everyone know that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth. In fact I did have a blog post half-written but when Hendrik asked for guest posters on Hiking In Finland, while he was messin' around in the water, I submitted my 'Death to Rain Pants' article which started some good discussions.

Excuses for the lack of content? Well, I haven't been out into the mountains since my last excursion. The end of the school year is always busy and that has kept my ventures local and short. I've also found myself becoming less interested in posting gear reviews. Doing gear reviews well takes time, contacts and dedication. Often I find 'First Impressions' or 'First Looks' spike desire, envy and consumption without providing long term evaluation and subjective reactions. I am as guilty as the next blogger of this and you'll probably see less of this type of content on here in future. There are far superior exponents anyway. Hendrik, Phil, Maz and others provide far more detailed, topical and interesting gear reviews. No one wants to hear about how awesome my three year old Montane rain jacket is, especially when it's design has been up-dated three times since I bought it!

And it's not that I haven't been inspired recently. Between Roman Dial's inspirational monster of a guest post, Dave Chenault's hopes for a traverse of the 'Bob', Jorgen's Voxnan adventure and the arrival of books from Andrew Skurka and Mike Clelland! I am looking forward to my own time in the mountains this summer with relish. I will be hitting the trail with Thomas in July and I'm looking forward to spending time with him and exploring the heart of Norway. I'm also gagging to give packrafting a go. The recent explosion in this form of wilderness transportation and the almost endless potential for adventure here in Norway has me itching to don a dry suit and blow up one of these weird and wonderful little boats.

"Mayday! Mayday! Man overboard again. The sharks are already circling. They only eat the brave" - The Gallows

No comments: