Monday 16 February 2009

Try something new

We tried curling on Sunday. We were invited to join a bunch of expats for a few 'ends'(?!) of one of those sports you see on the winter Olympics TV coverage and think to yourself "I could do that". Well, you probably can't. Like the bastard offspring of lawn bowls, ten-pin bowling and ice hockey it's compelling and frustrating in equal measures. It's a lot harder than it looks but it is a lot of fun. It took me the whole hour just to stay upright when I sent the stone either stuttering to a halt in the middle or giving it too much mustard and threatening to break someone's toes at the other end. My team failed to score a single point but I loved it. In the photo below Aberdeen Dan-gus shows us how it's done, 'brushing' up on his technique on only his second try at it.

2 comments:

A said...

Oh yes, I've watched curling and thought "I could do that," and have always wanted to try my hand at it. Thanks for this report. I should have known. ;)

Joe Newton said...

Forest Wisdom - I'm sure with a few more practice sessions we'll get the hang of it! Who knows, next time I might even score a point! :-)